Windows Vista “DreamScene”

Bash Windows Vista all you want but you have to admit… this is cool!

Full Motion Video as your Wallpaper

February 20, 2007 - Posted by | Geeks and Gadgetry, Software

1. Here’s another one. It’s choppie but not the fault of the OS or the computer. Just a bad video capture.

Comment by xraytech | February 20, 2007

2. Here’s another.

I’m trying to find the “Rain Drop” loop.

Comment by xraytech | February 20, 2007

3. I know what your’re thinkin’…

That’s just Windows Media Player Maximized.

Well… Try to replicate the above with a Maximized Media Player Window

Comment by xraytech | February 20, 2007

4. That’s pretty nifty. How much CPU bandwidth does that take up? I probably wouldn’t want that running during a Photoshop batch job.

This reminds me of “Windows Active Desktop” where your desktop background is a webpage. It “went away” over time. 🙂

This is pretty nifty, though I’m pretty sure I’d tire of it after awhile.

Comment by Mike | February 20, 2007

5. You definitly need a Dual Core type of processor, which my laptop has.

No noticable lag once my laptop gets into a grove with “ReadyBoost” running.

Comment by xraytech | February 20, 2007

6. You don’t need a dual core processor, you just need a processor that can handle the need of it. I prefer AMD personally, I know a lot of people like Intel but I am for sure an AMD fan for life, and so are most hardcore developers, you do need a good graphics card, but everybody knows that, I would recommend something that supports HiDef with a good LCD. It doesn’t use more then a gig of memory total at most for me even with Photoshop running, the most it has ever used is 2 gigs when I was printing an image that was 2400DPI. Thats expected though. Its really good with processor specs as well, it tends to run at 24% usually, it will jump to 100% sometimes but thats expected when going from intense to not so intense. I can run Dreamscene, Widgets, Dreamweaver, Photoshop CS3 beta, Internet Explorer and Firefox and it not use up more then 50% of the memory I have and with no slow down. I don’t know if it has anything to do with the fact that I am running 64bit ultimate which tends to take advantage of the processing power of 64bit processors and keeps things a lot more stable, but for me, Vista is the dream OS, for us developers who have been complaining about the intensiveness of XP when developing high end applications, and websites, this is our answer to not hacking OSx onto our boxes, especially when people like me don’t like Mac hardware at all. Its very stable for me, it has never slowed down, lagged, acted up or even shown the inability to do what I needed, alot of people state they are going to stay with XP, thats their problem because to me Vista is going to rule the market, its a very nice OS in my eyes, Ultimate in my eyes really is Ultimate.

Comment by Jordon Bedwell, Sr. | April 2, 2007

7. I’d go for something more subtle as a background. There are a lot of neat screen savers that would be interesting as a background image. Or a loop of ocean waves coming in at the beach. Or a waterfall. Or a real time vid of the position of the stars, or simulated weather… there are all kinds of fun possibilities. We all need something to zone out on when our brains can’t take work anymore–what better than the very background image of the computer?

Comment by ra226 | April 6, 2007

8. Blah blah blah.

Here is a free alternative, which is much cooler. …oh and it didn’t take +5 years to develop.

Comment by loconet | April 14, 2007

9. Hehehe, yeah, I used to run Beryl. It’s still very much an alpha release. The eye candy is nice, but it’s not quite there yet.

Comment by Mike | April 14, 2007

10. how do i do that

Comment by adam8374738 | May 14, 2007

11. Its called “linux”. Let me help you.
    Go to mandriva.com download the 2007.x version, install or live, enable 3d desktop.
    The end and welcome to the open-source community

Comment by Anthony | July 30, 2007

12. Urr you think thats cool? It’s now suddenly cool to have DRM installed on your computer and have it slowing your games down by up to 100fps whether you like it or not? Vista is XP without the years of testing and wearing in and patches and service packs, Vista is unstable, slow, uncompatible eye candy… Thanks loconet for mentioning linux/beryl, also last time I checked beryl was up to beta? Not sure, thats just what I remember, I’ve never had problems with it, no lag, no cpu hogging unlike vista’s effects… Vista is not yet stable enough to have these effects, its just not practical..

If anyone wants to check out an easy to use linux distrobution that is widely used and supported, go to http://ubuntu.com/ It’s easy to get to know and lots and lots of easy to follow tutorials all over the net.. Don’t let M$ get the better of you and charge you hundreds of dollars for unstable software that doesn’t run more than half of your programs and lags your games to the shithouse…

Sorry for the bitch, later.

Comment by Azzdawg | August 14, 2007

13. Sounds like some one needs a HUG?

Comment by Bernard | August 15, 2007

14. Easy guys. No flames 🙂

Microsoft develops operating systems for the general public and the regular end user who wants a ready, out of the box sollution. It’s a mainstream OS and most people find it more than appropreate for their use. Linux is an open source OS which started of as a classroom project and became more generic to the computer community as it became more stable. Linux is (was) more geared towards security where as Windows is more geared towards home usage (eventhough MS has server editions of their operating system). Both operating systems have their pro’s and cons. For me personaly, the eye candy is not needed. The operating system has to be stable, the performance has to be acceptable and access to applications has to be easy. Just my 2 cents.

Comment by Ygdrassil | August 17, 2007

15. Looks Fan-Fuckin’-Tastic! As others have stated, Windows is not as secure as Linux.. But then, it’s not as hard to learn as Linux either.

Windows is for the regular home-user, that doesn’t care if they have to format every month and defrag every-other day. I do it – Not because it’s ‘secure’.. Because it’s easy.

Linux is for the ‘geeky’ type of computer users that can compile things, and understand the complexities of Linux. I tried Ubuntu.. installed the NVIDIA driver, got an X-Server fail, formatted and reinstalled Windows. I’m not exactly a Linux PCTech. But sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start did nothing. SimplyMEPIS wasn’t all that great and Freespire kept making beeping noises, while Knoppix didn’t detect a filesystem on a LIVE-CD!? Sorry folks, I’m sticking with Windows, I give up after FOUR distributions of an operating system doesn’t work for me, and Windows ‘just works’.

Comment by Jakanda | August 22, 2007

16. Oh. the ‘geeky’ comment was *NOT* meant as an insult. Sorry for anyone that took offense to it. ‘geeky’ in my eyes is a compliment of being smart – I’m good on Windows, but Linux is just too hard for me to learn. Cheerio. 😀

Comment by Jakanda | August 22, 2007

17. Sheesh!!!

Sounds like a few of you need HUGS?

Comment by Bernard | August 24, 2007