Netflix on Tivo

Trust me.  It's glorious.

Trust me. It's glorious.

My Tivo got the service update that enabled Netflix streaming. I reactivated my Netflix account, enabled it on my Tivo, and was streaming content in about 3 minutes. The quality is excellent and the interface is great–you simply add a “Watch Instantly” flick to your “Watch Instantly Queue” (separate from your normal DVD queue) and it becomes available immediately on your Tivo to watch.

My only two qualms are the small selection (which will grow in time) and no option to have japanese w/english subtitles for anime series (we’re stuck with english dubs).

I foresee cutting cable soon (after BSG is over). 🙂

December 8, 2008 - Posted by | Geeks and Gadgetry, Movies, Television, Video | ,

1. Seriously… NetFlix instant is amazing. I have a Mac and was all sad because it only worked on PCs but now it works on Macs too and I may never be productive again 😉 More and more devices are NetFlix ready which is great. Maybe DVDs will soon be going the way of CDs…

Comment by anotherworldcitizen | December 8, 2008

2. I ditched cable a while ago. When BSG does start to air, it’ll be on hulu, will it not? Save the $50 month and kick the cable co. to the curb!

Comment by radium226 | December 8, 2008

3. How can you ditch cable when shows like this are on.

Then again you can get it over the air anyways.

Comment by Bernie | December 8, 2008

4. Aparrently it’s on youtube, too 😉

Comment by radium226 | December 9, 2008

5. I’m with you on ditching cable, but… but… Netflix streaming is such low quality! How can you watch an amazing show like BSG that’s filmed in amazing HD via such a low quality stream like Netflix or Hulu? Don’t get me wrong, those services are both great for some things that simply don’t need good video or sound quality, but some shows really merit a high quality viewing experience!

Comment by Joe | December 9, 2008

6. Yes I’m a glutton and I’m proud of it. I enjoy watching my favorite sitcoms in Hi-Def. Nothing less than 720p is good enough for me.

I am such a Hi-Def whore that DVDs of my favorite sitcoms are not enough. I have to get the Blu-ray Box set.

Comment by Bernie | December 9, 2008

7. Bah, you kids are spoiled! I remember downloading DS9 from usenet in 320×240, captured from VHS with Dutch sub-titles. And did we complain? No! We liked it just fine that way! Plus, they even translated the Klingon.

Comment by radium226 | December 9, 2008

8. Yeah yeah yeah…

and I bet you also walked to school up-hill both ways, in the rain.

😄